My Understanding of What is PSM – I.
Professional Scrum Master – I (PSM – I) is an industry recognized scrum master certificate from scrum.org. PSM – I is the first level out of three and the exam checks the fundamental knowledge of scrum and it’s application in real world.
Why PSM – I?
- It is an industry recognized scrum master certificate and accepted across all clients.
- It thoroughly checks one’s fundamental knowledge about scrum.
- It is a lifetime certificate with no expiry date. Hence, I see it as a medium to build the knowledge for the path you have chosen.
- You get access to resources where you can read blogs, articles, whitepapers and watch videos to understand scrum and it’s intricacies.
Who Should Go for PSM – I?
There is no specific criteria or guidelines from scrum.org on who should bag this achievement. Anyone can take PSM – I, having a fundamental knowledge of scrum and little bit of experience with it.
As, I have experienced it, people who have orthodox mindset, and just do it for sake of doing the certification, they fail. As the traits are not there to be a scrum master. In my view, a person having following traits should go for PSM certifications:
- Can give-up the ego.
- Empathize with people.
- Have listening skills.
- Nature to serve others.
How I prepared for PSM – I?
I studied and referenced following for PSM – I:
- Learnt by heart, Scrum guide by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber.
- In resources section of scrum.org, completed the learning path of scrum master.
- Took open assessments of Scrum Master, Product Owner and Developer until I got 100% in each.
What to Expect in PSM – I Exam?
- 80 questions in 60 minutes.
- Multiple choice questions.
- Questions checking fundamental knowledge of Scrum, straight from scrum guide book.
- Few scenario based questions.
- Passing score of 85%.
Hope this blog would have given you insights about PSM-I and will help you in attempting PSM – I and clearing it.